Sunday, March 13, 2011

You Are What You Eat

I've never liked the phrase, "You are what you eat," because when I was younger I just didn't understand how if you ate a cucumber you would be a cucumber. A person can't just morph into a vegetable or a piece of cheese.  Now, I realize that you might not physically become that food that you just devoured, chewed, or slurped, but that food has now traveled through your body either giving you nutrients that you need or adding life threatening poisons to your body and mind.  So, in a way, part of that food has become you. Maybe it added a little extra energy or protein to your muscles to run that extra mile or finish vacuuming the house, or maybe it's given you a little muffin top. No  matter what you decide to put in your mouth and chew, it's important to be mindful. I'm not saying that you have to eat healthy food everyday, because I certainly do not, but I am mindful of what I'm eating and I watch my portions. I will admit I crave chocolate, ice cream, Baked Cheetos, and crackers, which are processed foods. However, I also don't eat them everyday or eat a lot of them.  I love how vegetables, seafood, and fruit make me feel when I'm done eating them. Maybe a glass of wine or gin and tonic helps me unwind at the end of a hard day at work, but I try to recognize my limits and are pretty health conscious.  I also exercise 6-7 days a week for at least 45-60 minutes, so I know that having a scoop or two of ice cream is not going to be counterproductive.  
Even though we shouldn't be obsessive about food, Americans need to make better choices. Americans eat way too much and we eat fast, hence the fast-food chains.  (Plus, studies are finding a chemical in fast food wrappers that seeps into the food. EW! (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/fast-food-wrappers-are-more-dangerous-than-the-food-they-hold-2421881)) We do everything fast, actually, which doesn't help our bodies (unless we're in a physical race ;-)  ), our relationships, or our overall well-being.  Why can't we slow down? I'm not talking about being lazy, and not completing a job well and on-time. I am all about getting things done and moving. Having grown-up just outside a major city and now that I'm living in a smaller city,  I realize that I am impatient with drivers, some co-workers, things being fixed, etc., but I also value other cultures how they eat slowly and enjoy it. They eat healthy foods, but tasty foods, and seem to enjoy life more. 
So, eat what you want within reason, watch your portions, read the labels, don't eat anything that has refined grains or trans fats (http://www.rd.com/health/4-most-harmful-ingredients-in-packaged-foods/), or at least don't eat much of that (it's processed and an unnatural chemical for your body), and exercise. Try some of these "superfoods" that Self Magazine recommends http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2010/08/a-week-of-superfoods.  Move and eat well. Your body will thank you in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment