Monday, January 17, 2011

Running doesn't have to be lonely

Yesterday, I went on a run with my husband and my dog, Beethoven. My husband and I had been fostering him since right after Thanksgiving, and then we adopted him from a rescue shelter about a week before Christmas. He's an interesting dog, because he has anxiety/adjustment issues, but he's a sweetie.  We decided to drive over to a nearby park and run with him where there wouldn't be as many cars and people as if we had run through our neighborhood. I've never run any distance with a dog, besides just a quick sprint down the block. This was interesting and I was glad my husband had the leash instead of me, because Beethoven's nose took over his sense of direction. Initially, Beethoven, zigzagged between my husband and me. At one point Beethoven ran to my left with the leash in front of me, so I leaped over the leash (My husband was still the one with the leash to the right of me), and Beethoven was then behind me. All of a sudden he started coming back forward, so I quickly moved out of the way. Beethoven seemed to want to play jump rope with me. Eventually, he got used to running next to us, until he decided to run behind me and sniff the bottom of my shoes as my feet kicked up.  He was lucky that he didn't get knocked in the head. Overall, he did pretty well and ran a pretty good distance. I guess he is a runner, after all, and he added some extra joy to our typical Sunday run. I didn't even miss my i-Pod, since I had a new kind of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment